The Book of Revelation has always fascinated. The book is a revelation of Jesus Christ, a revealing of the Son of God. Over the years I’ve enjoyed reading how Babylon the Great will be destroyed in one hour, almost immediately, and I’ve pondering her character as the goddess of trade and commerce and wealth; and the suddenness of her destruction.
Today I write on the whore — for what she is:
- “BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF PROSTITUTES AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.” And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus. When I saw her, I wondered greatly. And the angel said to me, “Why do you wonder? Rev 17:5-7
- And in her was found the blood of the prophets and saints and of all who have been slain on the earth. Rev 18:24
- [God] has judged the great prostitute who was corrupting the earth with her sexual immorality, and He has avenged the blood of His bond-servants [a]on her.” Rev 19:2
OK, here are some clues to the whores identity: this is what the whore does, she is:
— drunk with the blood of the saints
— drunk with the blood of witnesses of Jesus?
— guilty of the blood of His bond-servants?
Who does these things?
- [Jesus to the Leaders of the Jews] So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. Fill up, then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers. You snakes, you offspring of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell? “Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will flog in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, so that upon you will fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, Matthew 23:29-35
- Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who have been sent to her! Luke 13:34
- But the Jews who disbelieved stirred up the minds of the Gentiles and embittered them agains the brethren. Acts 14:2
- But you disowned the Holy and Righteous One and asked for a murderer to be granted to you but to put to death the Prince of Life, the one who God raised from the dead . . . Acts 3:14
- . . . by the Name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified! Acts 4:8
Stephen, the first Christian martyr (other that the Son of God) was murdered by the Jews.
Who is the Whore in the Bible?
- How the faithful city [Jerusalem] has become a harlot . . . Righteousness once lodged in her, but now murderers. Isaiah 1:21
- For long ago I broke your yoke and tore off your bonds; but you said, “I will not serve.” For on every high hill and under every green tree you have laid down as the harlot. Jeremiah 2:20
- You are a harlot with many lovers. Jeremiah 3:1
- You have a harlots forehead, you refuse to be ashamed. Jeremiah 3:3
- Have you seen what faithless Israel did? . . . she was a harlot . . . yet her treacherous sister Judah did not fear; but she went and was a harlot also. Jeremiah 3:6
- And I saw that for all the adulteries of faithless Israel, I had sent her away and given her a writ of divorce, yet her treacherous sister Judah did not fear; but she went and was a harlot also. Jeremiah 3:8
Jerusalem is Mystery Babylon. Is Jerusalem linked to Babylon? It is “mystery” Babylon — the clue is in the words. Let us look at Nahum’s prophecy of Babylon and compare it to That of faithless Judah.
- Nahum 3:4. All because of the many harlotries of the harlot, the charming one, the mistress of sorceries, who sells nations by her harlotries and families by her sorceries.
- Nahum 3:5. Behold, I am against you, declares the Lord of Hosts; And I will lift up your skirts over your face, and show to the nations your nakedness and to the kingdoms your disgrace.
This mimics what Ezekiel prophesied of Jerusalem:
- Ezekiel 16:37 To Jerusalem, God will: . . . expose your nakedness to them that they may see all your nakedness.
- Ezek 16:39. I will also give you into the hands of your lovers, and they will tear down your shrines, demolish your high places, strip you of your clothing, take away your jewels, and will leave you naked and bare.
Her lovers will murder her — and this charge is duplicated in Rev 17:15-18: :
- And he *said to me, “The waters which you saw where the prostitute sits are peoples and multitudes, and nations and languages. And the ten horns which you saw, and the beast, these will hate the prostitute and will make her desolate and naked, and will eat her flesh and will burn her up with fire. For God has put it in their hearts to execute His purpose by having a common purpose, and by giving their kingdom to the beast, until the words of God will be fulfilled. The woman whom you saw is the great city, which reigns over the kings of the earth.”
Isaiah 47 — is this not parallel what we see in Ezekiel? Babylon of old was wiped out, but her sorcery and evil were carried on by this daughter of Babylon.
- Isaiah 47:1 Come down and sit in the dust o virgin daughter of Babylon.
Who is the liar except the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son. Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father; the one who confesses the Son has the Father also.
1 John 2:22-23
Can Jews repent? Yes. Saul (Paul) repented. It is a hard repentance. The first great revival was amongst the “Jews.”
Can all ethnic groups repent? Yes, the Ethiopian (a son of Ham, an African) eunuch converted early. The very first convert after the death of Christ was a European (the Centurion: “truly this is the Son of God!” ).
Fritz Berggren, PhD
18 September 2021